Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Recipe Time! Easy Homemade Almond Milk


Ahh yes, coffee. The most magical morning elixir that ever did exist.

What do you guys like to add to your coffee? Are you a cream and sugar person? Milk and sugar? Honey? Flavoured creamers?

I personally like almond milk and either raw sugar, honey, or sugar free syrup in my coffee - depending how I am feeling that day. Almond milk has been my go-to for a while now since my stomach has a hard time digesting dairy. As in, I feel bloated and get the worst stomach aches ever from it. So! I thought I would try my hand at some homemade almond milk and share the results with you guys on the bloggy. It is even creamy in coffee, which is a huge win! Plus it is simple to make and tastes yummy.

Here's a step by step guide for how to make your own homemade almond milk:


You will need 1 cup of raw almonds, soaked overnight in a few inches of water.


You will also need a milk bag or cheesecloth to strain out the almond meal (the pulp left behind). I picked mine up from the local community farm store in town, but I'm sure any grocery store or health food retailer would have this.


Once the almonds have soaked overnight (you will notice they plump up and may feel a little on the squishy side), pop them into your blender.


Then, add two cups of water to your blender and blend for about 2 minutes.


I added about 1 tsp of syrup and some vanilla to my almond milk, though you can add however much you like!


Once your almonds and water are looking a little more like milk, you will want to strain them in your milk bag. This was a little tricky since my jar was not super wide at the top, so you can do this either in a wide-mouth jar, bowl, or any other container you like. Squeeze gently until you have most of the "milk" out of the bag. You should be left with a clump of the almond meal. If you would like to use the almond meal again, I recommend refrigerating it and adding it to oatmeal or muffins, or spreading it on a baking tray and baking it just until dry. This makes freezing it even easier since all the moisture will be gone.


You should get about 2 cups of almond milk from the 1 cup of almonds. At this point you can add in more sweetener if you want, or even add some cinnamon or nutmeg to warm it up. Be sure to seal this nice and tight and use within two or three days.

---

Et voila! There you have easy homemade almond milk. I am going to experiment with soaking the almonds a little bit longer in an attempt for even creamier milk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment