Monday, September 12, 2016

BC SPCA Paws for a Cause Walk + The Best Sandwich


Doggies, doggies, everywhere!

Sunday morning was going to be a fun day for Nala and Marley (my parents' dog). We signed up for the BC SPCA Paws for a Cause walk earlier in the week, which didn't leave us much time to fundraise, but we all donated and participated to play our part in the event. I had never been to this event before - didn't even know it was in our area to be honest - but it is something that is fun for the family to do and gets you out there for a great cause.


There were local companies and vendors with booths set up, too. You could find everything from a pancake breakfast (all donations to the BC SPCA) and microchipping to raffle prizes and the local canine school with activities for dogs. It was nice perusing the different booths, and of course Nala and Marley loved the treats.



The walk had two distance choices to select from; a 1km and 3km distance. We chose the 3km distance as our dogs wouldn't even be tired after a single kilometre! As Nala grows we find that she has more and more energy, so it is critical for us to give her exercise so she does not develop any bad behaviours from having no outlet for her energy. She isn't quite old enough for full on running yet, though we have fun doing little bursts of running during our walks, longer walks in hilly areas, hitting up local trails, or just running around the back yard until she goes upstairs on the deck. That is her signal that she is done!

And yes, she is wearing a bandana, because it is so CUTE and I couldn't say no.


Mama and Marley after the walk.


Nala's first race bib! My mom laughed when I said this. I don't know of many actual running races that allow dogs, but maybe she'll get another in the future.


Family portrait!

Okay, Nala the dog model. The pups all got a goodie bag at the event, too. Inside there were two packages of food samples, a bag of treats, some puppy balm/moisturizer for dry paws (how bougie), and a toy. Nala's toy was a pink, purple, and orange rope toy with a rubber ball on the end. I'm pretty happy with the colour choices there, though I'm sure Nala could care less ; ) As long as she can chew it, she's a happy girl.

Now, fast forward to our Sunday lunch date!


I have to say, this was one of the best sandwiches I have had in a long time. Usually I am not a sandwich person, as too much bread and my digestive system don't tend to get along well, but once in a blue moon you just crave a sandwich, ya feel me? We went to a local spot called The Old Fork (in the Ramada hotel), my lunch was sooo good. Like SOOO GOOD. If you are ever there, I highly recommend ordering the shaved turkey sandwich (I ordered mine on whole grain bread). I swapped out the bacon for avocado for some healthy fats and extra creaminess, and it was seriously delicious. Pair that with a fresh salad and I am happy as a clam.

The rest of the day was pretty relaxed and it was the usual scene around our house for a Sunday afternoon. Laundry, some yard work, a dump run (okay we don't do this every Sunday!), plus planning a FULL MONTH of blog fun in my little section of the internet! Yep, stay tuned for a jam-packed October. I'm thinking the rest of today will be equally fun!

---

Have you ever done a Paws for a Cause event, or something similar?

What's your favourite Sunday activity?

Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment