Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Long Weekend Recap + Taco Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing


Good evening from this lazy puppy!

Sorry for falling behind on Monday's post. As I type this it is Tuesday, though it certainly feels like a Monday after the long weekend.

A long weekend does that to a person, hey?

For those who celebrated BC Day, I hope you all enjoyed the extra day off and got up to some fun and exciting things in the beautiful weather.

My long weekend started Saturday after work. Ryan and I ventured off to visit my parents, who were camping nearby. We took Nala with us for the adventure, and she had lots of "Ooh's" and "Awww's" from the other campers. I mean, can you resist?


SO DARN CUTE. I die : )

We stayed out fairly late on Saturday night, and I of course slept through my alarm on Sunday and woke up at 10am. This is unheard of for me. Fortunately Ryan was on puppy duty, so my sleep was, for the most part, undisturbed. That being said, I decided to use Sunday as my easy day and complete my long run on Monday. I will get to that in a momento!

Sunday was filled with running errands, which included a pit stop at Costco in search of an air conditioning unit. Of course, there were none when we got there, so we spent our money on organic fudgsicles, hummus, and giant boxes of salad greens. When at Costco, right?


Since I slept through my morning alarm on Sunday - and REALLY didn't feel like running in the blazing heat, I saved my long run for Monday. After breakfast was finished, I hopped on the treadmill and completed seven miles. Sometimes breaking a long run into two parts can serve as a good mental break, especially if you are doing it on the treadmill. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my treadmill. In fact, sometimes I prefer the treadmill because it gives me a chance to give my body a bit of a break (and I can tune out and watch YouTube to pass the time). Additionally. all of my other long runs were completed outside, so I am more than accustomed to the time on my feet. That's what the long run is all about, after all!

After the second part of my run I refueled with another huge salad. Is anyone else not into hot food in the summer? I could eat salad for dinner every day and be happy as a clam. Ryan, not so much, but this salad was a hit! He even made a delicious avocado dressing that I am going to share with you guys. That's what friends are for, yes?



*Note: Most ingredients are organic as we have access to local produce pretty much year round, though some things aren't. It's all about the price!

In my salad I had:

- Organic spring mix
- Organic cucumbers
- Organic cherry tomatoes
- Yellow pepper
- A handful (or so) of chopped cabbage (great for extra crunch)
- Lean ground turkey sauteed with organic yellow pepper and organic pitted olives, sliced <--- This olive idea was SO delicious. Adds a great punch of saltiness without physically dousing your salad in salt.
- Lightly salted tortilla strips


For the dressing:

Add one ripe avocado, about a 1/4 cup organic plain yogurt, the juice of one lemon, Himalayan pink salt, cracked black pepper, garlic, and a dash of olive oil into your food processor. Cream together until smooth - you can add more liquid until it becomes your desired texture.

This dressing also makes a yummy dip for crackers, veggies & nacho chips!

Sooo, sooo good. Let me know if you try it out!

---

I hope you all have a great day & I will catch you on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment