Thursday, August 21, 2014

Garden Magic & Full Body BLAST Workout


The other day I went out to the garden and saw magic happening right before my eyes. I am happy to report that I have a baby cauliflower growing and a couple baby cucumbers! It is always so exciting to see the literal fruits of your labor, and everything tastes so fresh right grown in your own backyard. I have a hard time buying things like kale now since I have a huge abundance of it, and the same will ring true when my cherry tomatoes ripen. Exciting stuff!


I started off yesterday with a 5 mile run. It was cool and crisp out - perfect running weather.


Overall I felt good despite fallin' off my pace during mile three. Oh well! They can't all be perfect and even, I suppose.


Once I was home, I quickly showered and got myself ready before it was time to make breakfast. Of course, breakfast was the usual oatmeal with coffee. So original!

Then later on in the day I headed to the gym. My legs felt good from the morning run, so I hopped on the treadmill and ran another three to bring my grand total to eight for the day. I also completed a strength training work out that focused mostly on upper body, but also threw in things like deadlifts and jump squats to keep my body guessing and my heart rate up. Here it is below:


I switched between 12 and 15 pound weights for the above exercises. For the jump squats, I used a 10 pound medicine ball as that was most comfortable for me to use. Use whatever works best for you, or use your body weight. Throwing the squat jumps into the mix was a great way to keep my heart rate up and muscles guessing. They will be appearing in many workouts to come! 

Oh yeah! I also did a one minute plank before stretching a bit and heading on my way. Let me know if you give it a try and tell me what you think!

After the gym, Ryan and I went for a walk along the trail. Lately we've been going for a walk in the evening, and I find it's a great way to catch up on the day together, get some fresh air, and unwind. There were quite a few people out and about, mostly families and their kids riding bikes, but overall a fairly quiet walk! We completed 2.1 miles, then made a delicious dinner of salmon, mini potatoes & roasted veggies which was enjoyed while watching Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2. Kids at heart!

Hope you all had a good night and Happy almost Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment