Saturday, December 7, 2013

31 Days of Running



Holy moly. I feel like December is flying by and before we know it, Christmas will be tomorrow!

I mentioned in my last post that I am doing a December challenge to run every day of the month. Well, today was day seven, and I am actually feeling great. Of course, on Wednesday and Thursday I only got in a single mile between work and birthday dinners, which definitely saved my legs and helped them recover after some harder runs during the week. The goal is to finish the challenge injury free, and that means doing super easy running on my "rest days" (but without taking the day off, obviously). It will be interesting to see what changes during this challenge and how it builds my base for spring training. I'd like to get in some decent long runs, but the last thing I want to do is starting bustin' out long runs too fast, too soon and end up burning myself out. Needless to say, running 31 days straight requires some extra thinking if you want to come out with both legs still attached to your body! 



Anyway, earlier in the day I went for a 10km run. Sarah and I had some fun plans in the afternoon, and if you guessed skating (ergo the figure skates picture above), then you are right! A local arena hosted a free skating event (skate rentals were also free), so we checked that out. As an ex-figure skater, I have certainly lost my mojo. One of the first things I said as I stepped onto the ice was, "SARAH, I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!" So dramatic, but we both got the hang of it after a couple laps. After our skating adventure we popped into Starbucks and warmed up with some coffee. I think my new favourite drink is a cafe misto, aka coffee with steamed milk. EXCEPT - I am still mad that Starbucks does not offer almond milk. Anyway, that is a whole other can o' beans.  


Dinner was super easy tonight. A tuna sandwich with celery, dill pickle, green onion and tomato on toasted whole wheat bread and a side of roasted kale and broccoli. I recently purchased some nutritional yeast to put on my salads and whatnot, and it is the perfect replacement for that cheesy flavour so many love on their side dishes. It tastes especially delicious on kale chips, and it's a lot better than drowning your food in sauces! If you haven't tried it, I highly suggest picking some up!

I hope you guys are having an excellent weekend so far! Anyone doing a Santa Shuffle!?

No comments:

Post a Comment