Saturday, January 12, 2013

Safely Increasing Mileage & Veggie Ball-Z


Amazingly enough, I woke up this morning early again and got my run in before work. Who am I? Who is this crazy fool I am becoming (again)? Getting in my work out before the day begins sets the tone for a productive and happy day. It gets my endorphins flowing and leaves a smile on my face. Plus, then I don't have to motivate myself to run when I come home from work. On the flip side, I enjoy weight training more in the evening. That I don't mind!

I ran five miles on the treadmill this morning, and I have another five planned for tomorrow. Or so. I say or so because if I'm increasing my mileage safely (by 10% maximum each week to reduce injuries), I still have 2.5 miles of wiggle room in there. We shall see how I feel tomorrow! I plan on sleeping in a little, getting in some breaky (see above) and then cranking out some miles before the rest of the day begins.

My mileage so far has been the exact same as last week. I am aiming for a 100 mile month, so that means 25 miles a week this month. However, I don't mind going over that if it's done in a smart way! The biggest advice I can give people who are starting to run is to listen to your body and go slow. It's easy to go balls to the wall because you are excited about a goal, but too much too soon can backfire and leave you injured and sad and drowning your sorrows in hot chocolate with extra whipped cream on top. Seriously. Been there, done that, never again, thanks! If you follow the 10% rule for increasing mileage, you'll get there in no time, and with no injuries.


If you can dream it, then it can be done! Don't afraid to step out of your comfort zone. That's where change happens, and that's where you'll discover you're capable of so much more than you ever knew. Who doesn't love a little challenge, too!

And who doesn't love some veggie meat balls? Thumbs up for protein!


I enjoyed the veggie meatballs with roasted veggies and seasoned it all with pepper and red garlic seasoning from Epicure. No fancy sauces here - all spices, baby! It was delicious, super filling, and quick to make. I love meals that come together without a lot of effort; it leaves more time for lounging in your housecoat watching the Miss America Pageant and stuffing your face. Not that I did that tonight or anything...

...Yep, I went there.

I am going to brainstorm ideas and put together a post all about half marathon running for all you folks who are curious about it. If there's anything you want to see in that post or questions you want answered, leave a comment or email me at hollydouglas99 at gmail dot com (I don't think it will let me put the full address there, so we'll stick to "words" for now).

Happy Saturday night! I'm going to get wild and make myself a cup of tea. Whoa there, grandma.

(PS. If you read the title as ball-z, like dragon ball-z, it's way funnier. That's what I was aiming for, anyway. Lame)

No comments:

Post a Comment