Sunday, December 30, 2012

Avoiding Injuries & New Additions


Good morning! I hope your Sunday is starting off on a good note & you have exciting plans today! Either that or a day filled with relaxing. I myself will be at work for the afternoon, but a short shift isn't bad! I had the morning to sleep in, relax, and I did none of those. Go figure. I woke up early(ish), and made sure to get a good work out in. Although it was nice running after work yesterday, I wanted to feel productive and get it in early so there's more time to relax later!

Today's work out:
4.2 mile run, 5 minute cool down walk
Then the following arm exercises, all with ten pound weights:
10/10/12 shoulder presses
3 x 10 bent-over rows
3 x 12 bicep curls
And 3 x 15 standing oblique crunches

Nothing too crazy, but it always feels good breaking a sweat!

I tallied up the miles on my old runners, and it's probably a good thing that I purchased new ones the other day. Including today's run, I have 306 miles on my "current" shoes, so I will be using my new ones from now on. It's generally best to replace your shoes between 300-400 miles, and since I switched back to my older ones after my single run in the NEW ones, I noticed a big difference in the cushion of the shoes. My dad asked me about how many miles my shoes have on them, and while I didn't know exactly, it's probably a good thing I checked. This way I can avoid injuring myself and start running in the brand spankin' newbies!

After my run, I used a Nuun hydration tab in my second bottle of water. It's an electrolyte drink with a whole three calories in it, and it is supposed to replenish your electrolyte stores and help hydrate you quicker than regular water. I enjoyed the flavour - it tasted like a light fruit punch - so I will continue to use it and see how it works out!

And the best part is refueling with breakfast! I added some pear to my every day oats, which was a nice change (although I do love me some bananas). Lately I haven't been drinking much coffee in the morning. Instead, I have replaced it with tea. I will either have green tea or some kind of chai combination (we have tons of chai varieties in the cupboard: honey vanilla chai, christmas chai, pumpkin chai, etc). Eventually I will get back on the coffee bandwagon, but right now it's more like a nice treat!


On another note, my family is looking for a new addition to the family. Yes, a DOG! We have finally convinced my dad, so now it's just a matter of finding the perfect dog. Ideally, we are looking for a medium sized dog that is calm and enjoys running. We would like to take the dog outside, boating and camping in the summer, and things like that. Of course, there are several breeds that come to mind (one being a lab) that fits the bill, but like my dad says, "It's like buying a car. You don't buy the first one you see!" Nevertheless, I am definitely looking forward to having another furry pal! While Oreo is cool, I think I would look a bit silly running with a cat. I think she'd hate me and claw my eyes out while I sleep, too. Better not go there.

Any suggestions? :)

I better get ready for the day! Happy Sunday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment