Friday, May 18, 2012

Being a Yoga Noodle, Clean Eating Reading Material & Stickin' to the Plan



So, I ran today. What a surprise, right? The more the morning dragged on (hi, I'm lazy sometimes!), the more I kept on thinking, "I need to get my run in!" I have been trying to be diligent about following my half marathon #2 plan that I created in history class. Time well spent, of course. I even added little boxes beside each activity that I can check off once it is completed. Tip: This is a good way of staying accountable! Planning your work outs is super effective if you are crunched on time and need to fit in a workout (which I believe everyone does, FYI!), plus having a schedule to follow keeps you in a healthy routine.

I started my morning with ten minutes of yoga. I flowed through several variations of sun salutations. I have especially been focusing on yoga training right now as I want to stay injury free through my running. There are tons of great videos out there (Jillian Michaels Yoga Melt Down is one of my favourites), and the YouTube yoga guru Tara Stiles is great as well!


Then, when I came home from my run (and the grocery store. We were out of bananas - NOOO!), I did another 20 minutes of yoga via two of Tara Stiles' videos online. I have been doing a lot of hamstring stretches to maintain my flexibility, as well as hip opening stretches. As a runner, hip injuries are unfortunately very common, and I want to ward them off by keeping my muscles in tip top shape through yoga (and strength training, of course).


So, what else have I been up to? Here is my life lately (kind of), through pictures!


Blue pants & boat shoes make for a comfortable and trendy Spring/Summer outfit. The best thing about these shoes is that they are comfortable. I have been putting a little dab of Vaseline on my feet (I got hooked after doing it during the half marathon) to keep them from rubbing and potentially causing blisters. I'm sure there are more glamorous ways of preventing this (hm, maybe a cross training shoe, but where's the fun in that? Exactly), but these shoes were love at first sight!


Lunch! Homemade salmon burger (I cooked a serving of salmon with garlic salt & pepper and lemon dill seasoning until it was flaky. The bun is a President's Choice Blue Menu sandwich thin - I like less bun with my burgers!) with roasted zucchinni, broccoli, steamed peas and carrots, and regular ol' carrot sticks on the side. The great thing about this meal is it was flavorful and filling, not to mention healthy!


Neon pink sandals + nude toenails. I actually really like this combination of neutrals and neon! These shoes were a pain though - literally - the skin under the edge of the toe strap started to rub and became very painful. Why did I not Vaseline there!? Stupid, stupid.


I found this book at Chapters in the bargain section. It was a steal at $6.99! I know the importance of eating clean, and as I flipped through the book, I was interested in all the other tid bits and information inside. So, I decided I could spare some $$$ and have a copy of my own. So far it has been interesting! I will do a book review on this once I am finished.

An example of some topics this book covers: Hydration, the importance of breakfast, clean eating to-go, ordering out, Q&A, recipes, and tons of other stuff! I am looking forward to sharing some info!


Last but not least, my favourite part of the day - running. It was a gorgeous day outside & the trails weren't too busy, which I like. Call me selfish, but I like to have the whole path to myself so I can zig zag and back track and run up and down hills as many times as I want without looking like a crazy fool as I pass the same people. I took it easy on running today - my average pace per mile was 8:34, pretty steady since it wasn't a tempo run or anything (nope, that's Monday!). Anyway, I have 7 miles scheduled for tomorrow, so I didn't want to kill my legs before my first "long run" of this training cycle.

OKAY! I hope you guys had a great day, and I will see you tomorrow!

Eat well & sweat lots (like live long and prosper... Maybe it will catch on. I'm thinking not though)!


No comments:

Post a Comment