Saturday, October 22, 2016

Easy Slow Cooker Applesauce



Fall is the best season not only for the cozy weather, but for the flavours of fall as well. There is nothing I love more than dousing cinnamon and nutmeg on everything, so this applesauce was a perfect way to put those spices to good use. If you know me, you know I am not a fussy cook. It has to be easy, I have to know how to pronounce everything in it, and it has to have minimal clean up. Introducing: the easiest slow cooker applesauce recipe. I don't know if I would even call it a recipe because it is so, SO easy. It is perfect for putting on during a Sunday morning, and it fills the house with such a spicy, sweet aroma. Let's get into it!


Spices you will need: cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. I had an "apple pie spice" from Epicure (which is probably cinnamon and nutmeg, haha) that I added as well.

Step one: get a bunch of apples. I had tons of apples on hand so I can't remember exactly how many I used, but I peeled and cut enough to fill my crock pot with. The peeling and cutting is the most time consuming, but it doesn't have to be fancy. To make my life easier I cut the apples into slices rather than chunks.


2. Spice it up. I ended up having three "layers" of spices, and added some extra on top as well. For the vanilla I simply poured a touch in the middle of the crock pot.


Step three: Put this baby on high for 6 hours and let it cook away. The apples get nice and soft, it smells divine, and it is naturally sweet from the apples and cinnamon. I put my applesauce in jars and canned it, though you can enjoy this right away!

---

Are you a slow cooker fan? What are some of your fave slow cooker recipes? I need to use mine more!

No comments:

Post a Comment