Monday, September 9, 2013

The Half That Didn't Happen + Moving Forward

Saturday night I was excited to run the Mountain Equipment Co-op Half Marathon on Sunday, September 8th. I had all my gear ready ahead of time, everything planned out to a T and woke up bright and early to get fueled up for the race.

Sometimes, things don't go as planned. Let me begin, shall I?

I mean, it's not like something life altering and earth shattering happened Sunday morning. No, things were going well, actually! I drove to my destination with plenty of time to spare, but it seemed as if the universe and other drivers on the road had other things planned. I watched as the minutes ticked by, and I was puttin' along at 25 freakin' kilometers per hour behind a giant camper van. Then, once he turned off, a tow truck with a big truck pulled out in front of me and sped up to maybe 30km/hr. DO YOU KNOW WHAT KIND OF A WRENCH THAT THREW INTO MY PLAN!? I don't know if you have been to Sooke, B.C. at all, but it's not the most exciting place ever. Long roads, lots of curves and bends in the roads, slopes and hills going down (ergo lots of slow people braking constantly because LORD KNOWS WE'VE NEVER SEEN A HILL), and one pissed off Holly. Excuse my language.

Anyway, I was 15km away from the race and it had already started. I pulled over on the road and started crying. Maybe if I had left a little bit earlier I could've avoided the slugs on the road, but it was too late to change that. Oh, and on another note, the GPS on Apple iPhones sucks huge big stupid things (trying to keep things kinda PG on here by not being too descriptive, BUT Y'KNOW). As soon as you think you are on the right track, "U-turn in 700 hundred meters." Lead me in circles. You'd think I would've remembered from doing the race in June, but clearly I was a little more awake then than yesterday. Although starting late wouldn't have been the worst thing ever, there were only a couple problems.

1. Once I was at the race area, I would have to take a shuttle bus to the start line that is about a ten minute ride, making me even more late.

2. I would be starting even later than the 5K participants, which means not being able to follow the half marathon group & thus going on the right course.

3. I still had to drive 15km TO the race area to even catch the dang shuttle bus, so I'd be way, way late.

So, I sat there and had a little pity party. I texted Brandon and my mom about how frustrated I was and how I really wanted to do this race, etc. etc. They both felt my pain and tried to console me, but the thing about ME being sad is that I just want to cry and feel sorry for myself and then get mad about the situation and then miraculously feel better once I think about what B & my mom said.

Needless to say, I turned around and drove home. I know I wouldn't have been the LAST person, but by this time I was feeling down. I didn't even feel like doing the race anymore and all I wanted was to go home and have a Brandon-hug and cuddle with Oreo and then go for my own run.

First, Starbucks. I stopped for a pick-me-up in the form of a Pumpkin Spice Latte. Oh, yes. That is the mark of fall returning. Once I got home, I noticed that B had tidied up and that just made me even happier. It's the little things. And then it was time for kitty snuggles.

Maybe it was a blessing in disguise that the run didn't happen. Why do I say that? Well, August wasn't a stellar half marathon training month. It was pretty sad in my eyes, but what can ya do? The past is the past (even if only a month ago). Plus I had just started some training a couple weeks prior to the half marathon yesterday, so I knew I wasn't in tip-top shape for the event.

What I'm seeing as PROS to this little hiccup:
1. The race was only $14 to register.
2. No shirts, race swag, or a medal at the end. As much as I run for the race, it's fun to feel appreciated and rewarded with some extra goodies. I love me a smaller race, but it is more fun to PR at an event where you get a shiny medal at the end. I don't know, just my opinion.
3. Use this as a lesson to work harder for the next half, Goodlife Fitness Victoria Half Marathon, on October 13th. THAT you get a medal for ;)

So, that was Sunday's fun day, plus a family BBQ around lunch time, a 10.25 mile run on my own time,  and an evening walk with B (pictured above). It was fun spending time with family and my favourite dude to get my mind off the race and onto more important things.

And now MONDAY fun day

Coffee, banana & blueberry oats with a scoop of PB. Simple and delicious.

More kitty cuddles

And more before B had to go to work

I went for a run this afternoon and tried out a new-to-me PowerBar gel:

Oh my GOSH. This was amazing. I am a coffee lover, and I will have to purchase more of these to add to my fuel rotation. I ran 8.11 miles and took this around mile 4.5, not all at once, but a little bit at a time followed by some water to help absorption. Seriously, I might have some dreams about this it was so good.

Other than that, the rest of the day has been spent washing dishes, doing laundry, puttering around the house & watching Community on the couch under a big warm blanket. I wish days off never had to end!

Hope you all had a good weekend! Catch ya tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment