Saturday, August 17, 2013

Feelin' Snacky + A Smoothie Recipe


Friday's lunch: a whole bunch of veggies with extra garlicy hummus (you're welcome, B), almonds and a hard boiled egg. This was super filling, and I didn't have to have a large afternoon snack to hold me over until dinner. In fact, dinner came late at 8:30pm accompanied by some coffee. This is probably why I'm still awake (it is Friday as I type this, but not Friday when you're reading it. Trickery!).

Note the measuring cups in the background. Oreo, Miss Princess Kitty, will only eat her dry food when it is crushed into little pieces. So, it gets sandwiched between these cups so she can enjoy it without it, uh, coming up later in large junks. This is also why we have her on wet food now as well. Them elderly cats need pampering!

Anyway, I did make an afternoon snack because, well, I have been craving a smoothie like crazy for the past few days and finally decided to blend one up. I have this Vanilla Almondilla protein powder from Vega that I desperately need to use up. The thing about this powder is that it is so sweet. A little goes a long way otherwise you run the risk of overpowering any other flavors in your smoothie.


Mango Vanilla Almondilla Protein Smoothie:

1/2 (ish) cup cold water
3/4 cup frozen mango
Handful of spinach
1 tbsp Vega Vanilla Almondilla protein powder

Blend water and mango until smooth. I added a tiny bit more water before blending the spinach and protein powder in. Blend on high until you have the desired consistency. I personally like my smoothies on the thicker side (hello, eating with a spoon) so I try not to add too much water or blend for too long. Plus using frozen fruit means you don't have to use ice cubes that will water it down!

This smoothie was perfectly refreshing and I could taste the mango more than the protein powder, which is what I was going for. It is nice when the supplement compliments the fruit and other flavors rather than stealing the show. And for those of you who haven't tried spinach in your smoothies, it's an awesome way to sneak in your greens since you literally cannot taste it. As long as you can get past the green hue, you're good to go!


This morning started off with my every day oats with raspberries mixed in. I was out of them for a while, but a quick trip to the grocery store fixed that little problem. Nothing I love more than a hot breakfast on a gloomy day.

Oh, wait. I would love crawling back into bed and skipping the whole work thing!

I envy those of you who have a true weekend! Happy Saturday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment