Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Breaking the Streak & More Results


Hey, strangers!

Nine days without blogging, and that also meant no running too.

I have been in a rut the past week and a bit, I will admit. Sometimes life just gets ya down, and you have zero motivation to do anything. While I was taking my sad, pity break from running, I did some strength training here and there, but I am glad to get back to it. I am going to work EXTRA hard to say no to treats, work on will power and get back to where I like to be. And that is swimming in giant salads and running and lifting weights and drowning in endorphins. That's when life is good.

Life is also good when you break out of that running rut and get in a couple miles at the gym. Sarah and I have decided to frequent the gym, so I am debating whether I should purchase a membership or not. I will (not much thinking there), mainly because there is more variety for weights and machines than what I have at home. Yes, the treadmill at the gym AND at home will be used, and I figure I can run to and from the gym as well. Kill two birds with two stones!

I forget all the strength training exercises I did, but I remember these bad boys:


(Clearly not me)
Weighted lunges, 15 pound weights

And then I did some deadlifts with 20 pound weights.
Whaaaaatttt? I usually do them with 10 pound weights since that's the heaviest set I have at home, but I wanted to challenge myself and ramp it up. I also increased my weight for other arm exercises like bicep curls and tricep kickbacks to 12 pounds rather than the usual 10. I'm all about progress!

Some other exercises included bent over rows, squats, leg press, weighted oblique bends, and I can't remember what else. Perhaps I should write it down the next time and drop the mystery act, since some people might actually be interested. Ha, ha. Maybe.


This is how I felt after. I completed my run after the weights, so I was running on somewhat tired legs. I still pushed through and told myself to keep going. Just do it, Holly! You never regret it after - and it's true! I felt 100% more like myself after I ran. Never again (or never this month, heh) will I go nine days without running. Unless I am injured, but that's not going to happen.

No, squash that thought right there. The goal is to keep running and fit strength training in regularly to reap the benefits. And eat clean!


Before my work out I had a piece of celery with peanut butter and raisins, then some almonds on my way out the door for some more protein. I brought a travel mug with chocolate protein powder in it, then mixed it with water when I left the gym. Since I hadn't had anything for dinner, I made a meal when I got home. It consisted of broccoli, kale, a small sweet potato & two over easy eggs. I seriously love me some eggs! Can't get enough. I wanted to have some more protein to help repair my muscles since, in my opinion, I did some serious "lifting" in the gym and needed to fuel my muscles correctly for the best possible recovery.

Anyway, I am off to bed! I apologize for not posting. Honestly, I didn't have much to say. Or rather: many positive things to say, since I was practicing the dying art of complaining for the past week and a bit. On to sunshine and rainbows, now!

Have a good day everyone! Wake up & work hard tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment