Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Nutrient Colour Wheel, A New Toy & My Next Brain Wave


I came across this colour wheel of nutrients the other day, and I thought it was pretty interesting. It gives you an idea of just what you are getting from your food. Note: If you are eating processed, packaged foods, you can bet that you are getting little to no benefits. Eating fresh, whole foods is the way to go!

For instance, for lunch I had a big salad with roasted veggies and two over easy eggs on top. Yes, it's the same salad I have basically every day, but you can't go wrong with an old standby! Why fix what ain't broke?

The two dominating colours in my salad were green and yellow. As I type this, I'm snacking on an apple to get my red nutrients in there, too!

The more colourful your meal is, the healthier it is. Do you make an effort to add lots of variety to your meals?


I slept in far later than I wanted to this morning. My planned 11 mile run was split up in two (three speedy miles in the morning before breakfast followed by eight more in the afternoon), because I had plans at 10AM. Anyway, I was hoping that I could make it outside for the last bit of my run, but it started pouring and I settled for the treadmill. While I ran, I watched some Real Housewives of New York. Man, those women are craaaaaaazy! During my run I took a strawberry gel to keep my sugar and carb levels up. Note: It's a good idea to follow your gel with some water, that way it will help thin out the gel and also allow your body to better absorb it.

Then, I stretched and foam rolled after my run. Since I took the last two days off from running, it felt good to get back to it again today. My legs were a bit sore towards the end, but the stretching and foam rolling will definitely prevent me from feeling too old tomorrow morning. Gotta love going to bed 20 years old and waking up feeling like you are 95!

I kid, I kid.

So, this is what my plans were at 10AM:


A new car! I traded in my 2000 Sunfire for this beauty, a 2013 Jeep Patriot North. I am BEYOND excited! I am in love with it. It is a huge change having TWO side mirrors on there rather than one. Clearly it's the little things that impress me. It is definitely a big investment, but I figure it is worthwhile to have a reliable, safe car that will last me YEARS and YEARS rather than be stuck in a situation where I am unable to have a safer car when I am in dire need for one. Besides, life is too short to not go for what you want!

Now, I need to keep that in mind when it comes to my next brain wave: signing up for a full marathon. DO I DARE TAKE THE PLUNGE!? Ah, nerves have the best of me.

Anyway, my mind is all jumbled up, because I'm A) still full of endorphins from my run (and caffeine, mmmm!) B) still super excited about my Jeep! I shall end it here and be back at it tomorrow. Happy Wednesday, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment