Saturday, October 6, 2012

That Half Creeped Up Fast & The Never Fail Pre-Workout Snack


 
This whole tapering week has been a little weird for me. Why? I just want to run, and run, and run until my legs fall off! However, I don't think that would be smart at all with the whole half marathon thang happening tomorrow and all. Funny how time flies, hey? When I first registered for this race months ago it seemed so far away. I had lots of time to train, since I had done two previously and a third landed within my training, and now it is finally here. I guess I should get my race package today!
 
I was almost going to save this post until tomorrow and do a race recap and race expo post all in one, but I think I might split it up and do the race expo tomorrow and recap on Monday. Race expos are one of my favourite things about the actual races. You can see what all the companies that sponsor the race offer, and there are lots of free samples. Really, it's a win-win situation. Oh, and you get your race stuff. Derrr. Anyway, I am off early from work today, so I can pick up my race stuff before the big day tomorrow. I would say, "I'll post what's in it tomorrow!" But I won't. Let's leave that for tomorrow.
 
 
Above is the route I'll be running. Or rather, my aunt and I will be, because she is doing it too. It is nice running with someone else, and we ran my first 10K together. Anyone else wanna be my running buddy, too!? Anyway, I am familiar with some of the areas this run goes through, as I ran through them during the Times Colonist 10K last year and the McNeill Bay half marathon I did last month. BRING IT ON! Can you tell I'm trying to pump myself up? And you better believe I wrote pimp for a second there. That's not happenin'.
 
Note: I am hoping to PR at either this race or the next one. Come on, brain. Get in the game. You too, legs.
 
Anyway, moving on to so pre-workout business here. Sometimes it's hard finding something to eat before you work out, especially if you don't exactly know what is best. Generally you want something that will give you the energy to get through your workout, but you don't want to be working out with a food baby, if ya know what I mean. Here are some ideas:

 
Some of these are great ideas, but personally, I would not eat an egg pita before a run. Hours before, yes, but not a single hour before. I did this when I lived in Vancouver. I headed out for a six mile run and yeah. That turned into three miles otherwise the egg sandwich would... Not have been in my stomach anymore. You get where I'm going with this. Certain things like that can make you feel sick before a workout if you don't time it properly. One thing I discovered the other morning is that celery with peanut butter before a spin class is awesome. However, celery & PB before a run is not. There's much less air time while you are a spin bike as opposed to running. Anyway, moral of the story: this is a general (as in geeeeeneral) guide to some pre-workout snack ideas. Find what works for you and stick to it!
 
When all fails, banana with peanut butter works every. single. time. Trust me on that one.
 
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! We are having a big family dinner here tomorrow, so after the run I'll be picking at everything while my mom tries to cook. Just warning you, mom. It's not like I don't do that anyway :)

No comments:

Post a Comment