Saturday, September 15, 2012

Morning Abs n' Arms & Spinny Ninnies

 
 
If you have never tried a spin class, I highly suggest that you do. Last night was the first spin & core class of the fall, and I loved it! Nothing like getting sweaty in a room full of strangers on a Friday night. In all seriousness, spin & core is one of my favourite classes for a few reasons. For one, you get your cardio in and sweat a lot, and secondly, you get core work in there too.
 
Last night our teacher ran through plenty of tempo drills, sprints, hills, hill climbs, and various other spin exercises that challenged us. One of the first things she said to us was, "I am a tempo girl." She did not disappoint! When I was driving to class I thought of taking it easy and not going too hard, but when you are in the class being told to SPRINT! SPRINT! SPRINT! You can't not sprint, so you just do it. And you feel awesome!
 
As for abs, there's a couple moves I had never done before, but I really enjoyed them. One of them was described as the "dead bug," and we also did some work with resistance bands and a couple sets of rocking back-and-forth planks. It was a gooder!
 
And now, here's another little work out for you. In the morning I like to get myself moving (it would help if I was back to my working out in the morning routine, but I'll get to that later), so I made up a little abs and arms routine. It's nothing killer, but you'll feel it!
 
 
It incorporates some pilates moves in there too, so I suggest YouTube for a how-to on those exercises if you aren't familiar with them! Here's a shortened description of the less straight forward ones:
 
Single leg stretch: Lay on your back, abs engaged with your shoulder blades just touching the floor. Your spine should be curled into a slight C position. Lift one leg to your chest, catch with both hands, then release and switch legs. One rep = both legs.
 
The double leg stretch is the same positioning as the single leg stretch. However, you are going to extend both legs, and ALSO your arms overhead. Sweep your arms around as you bring your legs in, hold your legs, and extend arms and legs again.
 
Corkscrew: Lay flat on your back with your legs in the air. Draw ten circles on the ceiling with your toes in one direction, then in the other. Modification: Do five in each direction, and feel free to place your hands under your hips to aid yourself.
 
Single Leg Circles are the same as the corkscrew, only you use only ONE leg at a time instead of two.
 
There ya go! A little bit of pilates fun mixed in there. Let me know if you try this and how you liked it! Any other work outs you'd like to see? They are fun to make!
 
Another happy part of my day was coming home to this:
 
 
I seriously love getting Runner's World in the mail! It's cheaper than buying each magazine every month, plus who doesn't like getting mail? This issue talks all about nutrition, and since I have possibly maybe been looking at nutrition courses online, the information is quite helpful! It's also nice learning about how to fuel your body properly. After all, we only have one body and we have to live in it our whole life. We might as well take care of it!
 
Time to get ready for the day. It is my Friday today - YAHOO! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment