Friday, March 16, 2012

Let's Chat: Goals & Motivation


Getting the motivation to do anything in life can be hard, let alone getting out the door to a fitness class or to go running - ESPECIALLY if it's early in the morning. However, there's always something that motivates you. Why do you go to work? For most people it's for the money, but for others it's simply because of the social interaction and environment that gets them through their shift. BELIEVING in yourself has a lot to do with motivation as well, I think. A negative attitude makes everything harder, especially becoming motivated. No matter what your reason is for not getting out there and really doing what you want to do, there is always someone who is pushing those "I can't" thoughts aside, getting excited about the task, and just doing it!



For me, setting goals is a huge part of staying motivated. I started off my running "career" in small steps. I would build up to 30 minutes of running (my goal), and then set another goal after that: Run a 5k. Once I completed a 5K, I made a goal of completing a 10K, and now I have a half marathon on the horizon. Whether your goals are workout/nutrition related or not, it is a great feeling to have something to work for. Sure, I could TRY to run the half marathon all in one shot without training for it, but I want to be as prepared mentally & physically as I can be before that time comes. Plus, I am having a LOT of fun with my training!

Some Examples of Goals YOU Could be Setting... Right NOW!
- Try to have 8 glasses of water a day this week.
- Add veggies/fruit to every meal this week.
- Exercise at least 3 x this week (or X amount of time every day)

I put my goals on a list on the fridge, that way I see them every day when I am fueling up for the day. I also use DailyMile, my calendar and fun coloured Post-It notes to track my mileage/workouts/general things that need to be done. It feels good being able to check things off your goal list, and crumpling up a Post-It note that says: Reminder, 10 miles today! Is so satisfying!


Most importantly, you have control over how you react to things, including your goals and how you stay motivated to accomplish them. Sure, you may not be able to control something that happens at work/home some days, but you CAN control how you react to the situation. My mom always says, "You control how your day is going to go." Sometimes you just need to look at things in a new light. Sometimes that's all it takes to turn things around.

No comments:

Post a Comment