We have all been there. You're on a roll with your clean eating and exercise, the sun is shining, birds are chirping, and suddenly it all falls apart. Maybe something happened at work to cause you to go off track. Maybe you suddenly got hit real hard with LIFE and all that it can entail, and maybe you're just feeling unmotivated and down in the dumps.
Well friends, I'm here to chat about how you can deal with setbacks. Yeah, they suck. BUT they are a part of life and it's important to acknowledge it and carry on. What do you do when you face a setback, though? What's the first step you take to get yourself back in that right direction again? Here's a few things I try to keep in mind.
1. It is only temporary. You have the ability to make a choice that will either further your progress or hinder it. I could get extra sad, wallow away with a pizza and feel even worse, OR I could do something that makes my soul happy. You want to do things that fill your happy bucket, whether that's painting your nails, doing a face mask, taking a nap, reading a book - whatever it is, do it!
2. PLAN and prioritize. I am a huge advocate for planning and prioritizing what needs to be done. If you are searching for a new work out plan, maybe that's just the thing to pull you out of a slump. Or perhaps you simply need to plan out your day, week, month in your planner to wrap your head around a hectic schedule. Making a plan is one of the first steps for turning a setback into a comeback!
3. Make a list. This goes along with the second point above, but I love me a good list. I probably write at least three lists per day, whether that's with work, personal life, or what I aim to accomplish on the blog. Try dividing your list into categories. Leave work at work and focus on what you can check off for your personal and mental health.
4. Motivate yourself. Yes, we all need an extra dose of motivation sometimes. Every so often I will sit down with my notebook and revisit my goals. Revisiting my goals allows me to see what needs to be done, and that alone can motivate me to just get up and DO IT. If motivation doesn't come all that easy to you, take to YouTube and watch some motivational videos to get you pumped up. Check out some new bloggers, listen to a podcast, or buy yourself a new workout outfit if that's what it takes to get you back in the gym and feeling good (if that's your goal). On a similar note, surrounding yourself with a group of people who lift you up is great motivation as well!
5. Celebrate your accomplishments, whether they are big or small. You don't have to scream it to the top of the mountains (though by all means if you are comfortable doing that), but take a moment to THANK YOURSELF and celebrate a job well done. This could be buying a new lipstick, or even just taking 20 minutes to relax in a bath and relish in your accomplishments. Often times self-love is overlooked, so take a bit of downtime as a celebration of your hard work. You deserve it, and it will leave you recharged for your comeback!
What are your tips for turning a setback into a comeback?