Bloating. Isn't it a lovely thing? I know I feel great when even my sweat pants are digging into my sides.
Catch the sarcasm there?
Yeah, nobody likes bloating. It is uncomfortable, you feel icky, there's nothing good about it.
So, here's five little trickeroos to use to kill the bloat.
1. MOVE YOUR BODY. Sometimes when you're bloated one of the best things you can do is move your body to help flush out any toxins that have accumulated in your body. Getting your blood pumping will make you feel more energized. Although it may feel like the last thing you want to do, I promise you it will be worth it. You don't have to go balls to the wall, either. Simply getting outside for a walk, doing some easy yoga stretches, or dancing around your living room will help reduce that bloat!
2. Drink WATER. Besides exercising, I know the last thing you want to do is drink water. You already feel full and icky, but TRUST ME. The water will flush that excess sodium and sugar out of your system and make you feel even better. It may take an hour or so, and you may be peeing a lot (let's be real, it happens), but keeping yourself hydrated will do wonders.
3. Drink tea. This is along the same lines as drinking water, but tea - especially peppermint tea - can do amazing things at banishing bloat. Why peppermint tea? Peppermint can be calming for the digestive system and can reduce cramps, bloating, and alleviate gas in the intestines. You can also look for a "detox" tea (I use that word with caution as I don't really believe in detoxing in the stereotypical sense) that includes mint, fennel, lemon, etc. I have peppermint tea almost every day and notice a difference in my tummy when I am drinking it consistently. Plus, it makes you less farty. Sorry, but it's true.
4. Eat WHOLE foods. We all know how much sodium goes into processed foods, so cut the processed junk and go back to basics. Lots of leafy greens, healthy proteins, fruits, and veggies will help keep your gut happy and reduce bloating. If you are intolerant to things like wheat and dairy, try reducing your intake for a day or so to ensure you are not further increasing your chances of that bloat sticking around.
5. Take a probiotic. Probiotics are full of healthy gut bacterial which can help your tummy achieve a happy balance. When your stomach bacteria is out of whack, you are more prone to illness, digestive stress, and inflammation in the gut. There are lots of probiotics out there, but look for one that is refrigerated (probiotics are living bacterias!), and does not contain a ton of fillers. Your local health food store will be able to lead you in the right direction as it is different for everyone : )
What are some ways YOU help banish the bloat!?