Thursday, October 13, 2016

So, What's Next? My Running Goals


The age old question. What do I want to do next?

I find myself asking this question at the end of every race. Upon crossing the finish line, instead of relishing in the moment and the accomplishment, my mind jumps to, What next? A million thoughts tend to swirl in my head once a run is over, though I am the type of person who is always thinking of the next step. So, I thought it would be fitting to chat about my running goals in the next few months and moving into 2017.

Of course, I do not have a set deadline for these goals. I just want them to happen. Although when it comes to goal setting, having a deadline helps, but these are general ideas of what I want in my running journey. When it happens, it happens, and I will be actively working towards a few of them (especially when it comes to timing).


First an foremost, I want to improve my personal best time in the half marathon. It has been years since I got a new PR (personal record), so I'd say it is about time. Ideally I'd like to push myself under the 1:50:xx mark, so I have some work to do - specifically speed and hill training!

On a similar note, I'd like to PR in the 5K and 10K distances as well. Basically: I want to get faster.

How will I do it? I will train hills and do speed work more consistently. My next half marathon opportunity will be in 2017, so I aim to run that faster than my Victoria Half marathon race a few days ago. Victoria is such a beautiful course and is a run I do every year. Until the next race though, I will keep my fingers crossed and continuously work towards that faster time. On that note, I will look for more opportunities in the 5K and 10K distances and really try to find that edge to make that personal record happen.


Distance wise?

The full marathon will always be my goal. I have ran upwards of 12+ half marathons (I used to count, but now I can't keep track *humble brag*), which has gotta count for something! However, the full marathon has always been that elusive goal that I have that just hasn't happened. Why? I am scared of committing to it. I know that setting that goal and signing up is the first step, but part of me is so frightened about everything that could go wrong. I know, I know. This goes against my mentality with everything else I do in life. If you don't know what's going to happen, then why not focus on the good? Perhaps 2017 will be my year of the marathon. If I can get on stage in a bikini and have people judge and critique my body (does this sound crazy or what), then a full marathon is nothing compared to that! That's what I will tell myself, anyway. Gotta put in that work, work, work (cue Rhianna).

---

I'm sure you guys could have guessed the full marathon as one of my goals from a mile away. For those runners out there, or for anyone reading for that matter, what are some of YOUR fitness goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment